Sunday, May 1, 2011

Quickie

We've had a super busy weekend! So this will be a super short update preceding a longer one soon. No, I haven't had time to go through those pictures as promised. However, my last day of class is Monday and MW has his last final Wednesday, so I think I will have some time in the evenings soon to get through them (I promise, Aunts!).
But check out my awesome Easter basket (thanks parents!!)


Saturday MW helped someone move so I took the liberty to deep clean the apartment. Yes, the same thing I claimed to do last weekend. But this weekend I actually did it. Scrubbed all the floors, detailed the bathrooms, de-germed the kitchen and vacuumed (which is not a small task when you have beige carpets + black cat + vacuum not meant for heavy duty tasks). But I managed.

Oh and here's the breakfast MW cooked me yesterday. It's okay to be jealous, that's normal. Frittata with orange and yellow peppers, tomato, spinach and onion PLUS mozzarella. Everything bagel with homemade garlic butter. Topped off with french press coffee out of my cute mug from Wisco. Yum!

Today we fueled up and prepared for what could possibly be the most exciting day of spring, for me.  I'll keep it a surprise until tomorrow, but here's a hint:


As I was waiting for MW, I made a quick batch of sugar free, plain yogurt.

MW got me a yogurt maker last May and I'm in love with it.  Plus we can make yogurt and know exactly what's in it (aka no added sugars). 

First you boil milk. We use organic 1% milk from NC that we buy from the Reynolda Farm Market. 
I have two tips so as not to burn your milk. 
1. Sprinkle the bottom of the pot with granulated sugar and melt it on low heat. 
2. Heat the milk on low heat and DON'T STOP STIRRING. 

Once it has boiled, stick it in an ice bath until it's about 115-117 degrees. 
Whisk in your yogurt starter (and I added a little vanilla too, yum!)

Then set it in your yogurt maker for a couple hours. 
The longer it sits, the firmer it gets. 

A yogurt maker just keeps the milk at a constant temperature so that the bacteria can thrive and make yogurt. I've read you can do this in an oven as well, but it seems that this is much more energy efficient. Is it wrong of me to want another? We savor every last jar of this yogurt. 

I'm excited to show you what the rest of the day held for us!

2 comments: